If you are not able to recover from Google Penguin then you are still looking for the ways to get back your existing higher ranking in SERPs (search engine result pages). To move forward, we can suppose,
- You have already cleaned your pages from onsite junk keywords.
- You have stopped building links from blog networks & avoiding from spam blog comment links.
- You have read hundreds of articles about recovering from Google Penguin penalty.
But, everything is getting failed in your case. Fortunately positive thing is, Penguin is not more than algorithm based on mathematical calculations bonded in many but diverse data sets to result in shape of “score” which is sole figure used to place web pages in search results in ranking as per their score. So, the primary step should be to understand this to beat Google Penguin.
Understanding Google Penguin Algorithm Update
The basic technique by using which Google Penguin examine your website is by analyzing inbound links (backlinks of website) to sort out what exactly is “unnatural activity” and the key indicator of unnatural or artificial activity is selection and placement of anchor text. Most probably, if you were penalized by Penguin then it might be because of over optimization of inbound linking profile as identified by the circulation ratio of anchor texts in your backlinks profile.
See, how Penguin penalized websites have anchor texts distribution in inbound link profile:
Just try to understand in pie chart, what exact anchor texts are representing bigger slabs of this chart. That is representing anchor texts having “exact match keywords” or in other words you can consider them money keywords. These sort of link profiles were working in perfect way in pre-penguin SEO scenario but after release of Penguin, its killing because of less diversification as more than 75% of backlinks are distributed into few anchor texts. This is one of the major indications for Google for unnatural or artificial linking, in other words manipulation of link profile.
Example of good inbound link profile in post penguin scenario:
This distribution of anchor text has more diversification but still you can see some bigger slabs in the pie chart. So, now question is: what exactly are those? There are four main types of anchor texts which normally comprise the most of the portion of the anchor texts in inbound linking profile.
- Naked URLs as Anchor Texts: It’s based on the different variations of the targeted URL of the website. It does not matter, it’s a home page or internal page but in normal scenario it refers to home page URL of the website. Google consider naked URL as a solid signal of natural inbound linking of any website profile. Normally, anchor text distribution of any good website linking profile based on major percentage of such naked URLs anchor texts. For example, allseomarketing.com, http://allseomarketing.com, www.allseomarketing.com and http://allseomarketing.com.
- Brand Name as Anchor Texts: It’s based on different versions of the brand name of the target website. Even search engines notice minor variations like alterations in capitalization of brand name. Like, All SEO Marketing, AllSEOMarketing, allSEOmarketing and all SEO Markteing.
- Branded Keywords as Anchors or Hybrid Anchors: It’s based on different versions of brand name of target URL used with exact match relevant keywords or LSI (Latent semantic indexing, that means related or synonym) keywords. For example, SEO Dubai allSEOmarketing, allSEOmarketing Web Design & development Dubai and allSEOmarketing SEO Dubai Blog.
- Generic Anchor Texts: It’s based on the phrases or words which are generic in nature and applicable on any sort of the website. Such as, “visit us”, “click here” and “here”. We can also call them junk or universal anchor texts. SEO Exerts always tried to avoid getting links with such anchor texts in pre-penguin SEO period as they don’t pass any relevancy signal to the target website.
You will always notice for the good ranked website in post-penguin period, must be using variations of above mentioned four sorts of anchor texts. As you will advance with your link building strategy, make it sure to never use keyword rich anchor texts (as webmasters used to work in pre-Penguin scenario) and inbound link profile strategy should be based on one or combination of the above mentioned linking strategies for anchor text distribution.
On initial level, you should conduct audit of your inbound linking profile by using tools like Open Site Explorer or Majestic SEO or Ahrefs Site Explorer, having aim to sort out your current anchor text distribution of inbound linking profile. Once you have done your detailed analysis, you have two choices to fix it:
- Delete: You can work on removal of placed links.
- Dilute: Or / and you can also start building your new links to dilute the effect of your existing placed inbound linking profile, which will help to carry down the overall ratio of your offender anchor texts.
I strongly recommend working on both strategies at same time for the maximum & rapid recover from Google Penguin penalty.
As you will recognize that you are getting up against Google Penguin mathematical algorithm, and then involve yourself to add or subtract some more strategies to recover from Google Penguin penalty. If still Penguin is not releasing, just don’t lose your heart and keep working with consistency; finally you will be out from the penalty. Best of Luck!